Birth certificate is issued by Government. It is the first certificate issued to anybody by Government which acts as address proof and which is the medium to get any certificate in future, even to get admission in school. This certificate has to be applied within 21 days of child is born. It is important that one has to register their child’s birth. Hospital administrations gives a receipt through which parent can apply for birth certificate in concerned municipal office or Mandal office. Within a short span of time of about 15 to 20 days, birth certificate is issued.
But to change name or make corrections in Birth certificate is quite complex process. It can be done either through offline or online.
Through offline there are 2 ways 1) Affidavit 2) Newspaper publication
Through online you can apply through meeseva
How to Change name in Birth certificate in India through Affidavit
Go to a municipal office nearer to you. Take the application form regarding the name change.
Go to local notary and make an affidavit. Specify the strong reason for change of name. This affidavit is used for changing first or last name or complete name. After the affidavit is prepared, submit it at municipal Office along with old birth certificate, Address proof, remaining proofs as well. Within 15 to 20 days, you will get your new birth certificate
How to Change name in Birth certificate in India through Newspaper publication
Sri……………………..(Old name) have changed my name from ……………(Old name) to ……………. (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, …………(place) on …………..(date). Henceforth, I shall be known as ………….(new name) for all purposes………….(Name) and ………………….(complete postal address).
This is the proforma of newspaper application. Candidate should fill in all details properly and publish in local newspaper. It is applicable for all ages of people specially for majors. preserve the scanned and hard copies well for future verification (if in case)
How to Change name in Birth certificate in India through online
- Go to nearest meeseva centre
- Download the application from official website http://tg.meeseva.gov.in/DeptPortal/UserInterface/LoginForm.aspx
- Click on the tab “meeseva services forms”, which is on the left side of official page
- Click on tab “GHMC”
- Here you will get a drop down list of about 7 choices
- Click on the option “ birth death corrections”
- Fill in all the details and submit it to Meeseva along with required documents
- Now Meeseva sends application to Municipal Commissioner
- You will be alerted with sms whether, your application is accepted or rejected
Below are the charges
- Services charges of about Rs.25,
- Statutory charges of about Rs.60
- additional charges for extra copy of Rs.25
- Affidavit on stamp paper has to submitted of Rs.10
What are the Documents to submit for Name change in Birth certificate
- Original birth certificate
- Identity proof such as voter id, ration card
- Declaration by parents
- Attestation by 2 gazetted officers
- And also letter from hospital where child is born
Processing time is about 10 to 15 days taken for verification and issuing of new birth certificate